Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Co-inky-dink

I always find it very interesting when life (or situations) intersect in unexpected ways. I am currently reading two books, one food related and one that I thought was not. The food related book is entitled Twinkie Deconstructed: My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients Found in Processed Foods are Grown, Mined (Yes, Mined) and Manipulated into What America Eats(Steve Ettlinger). The other book, Sleeping Naked is Green(Vanessa Farquharson) is a journal of sorts where the author tries to change something in her life to a way a little more "green" every day for a year. There is an entry describing her frustration in deciding whether to buy local pesticide laden produce, or non-local organic produce.

As best-selling food author Michael Pollan has pointed out numerous times, our collective knowledge about what to eat has fallen by the wayside, leaving us with food pyramids, dieticians, fat camps, and entire books devoted to deconstructing the Twinkie...


One expects the Michael Pollan reference, as I am not sure that I have read anything about food without his name popping up, but the Twinkie book reference was definitely unexpected. Does anyone else get as terribly amused with these kind of coincidences as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment